As they say, “Building applications for each platform–iPhone, Android, Windows and more–requires different frameworks and languages. PhoneGap solves this by using standards-based web technologies to bridge web applications and mobile devices.”
This tutorial is for Android till now. iOS codes will be updated as soon as you gift me an iPhone :P
- NodeJS >= 4.x
- npm >= 3.x
- A good text editor (hint: Sublime)
- Chrome (works best)
- Basic Terminal Commands (cd, ls, etc.)
- Android SDK
- JDK >= 7
- Ant (optional)
- Install NodeJS
- Update NPM ( node Package Manager)
a. Mac :
npm install -g npm
npm update -g npm
- Install Sublime Text Editor or Atom
- Install Android SDK
You don't need Android Studio but it eases a lot of stuff
- Install JDK
- Make Sure JAVA environment variables and ANT is properly set in windows and Mac
- Reboot PC (optional)
- npm install -g phonegap // install phonegap globally
- In Terminal, create a new directory for your projects
mkdir phonegapApps && cd phonegapApps
- Scaffold phonegap app :
phonegap create helloworld. This will download dependencies as well.
- Open index.html and change something (e.g. your name in a new div). Save and close.
- Try viewing it :
phonegap serve. Open the link in your mobile or browser.
- Keep changing stuff and refresh the page, till you are happy.
- Change ‘config.xml’ with your name and other details
- Add Android Platform to your project
cordova platform add android --save(phonegap is just Adobe’s version but basically its just the SAME)
- Build the damn thing
phonegap build android
- Transfer the debug apk from
.\platforms\android\build\outputs\apk\to your phone via Airdroid or USB
- Change your security settings in phone to allow installing apps outside Google Play.
- Make sure your bundle IDentifier is properly set ‘com.company.productname’
- Make Sure proper icons are settled
- Sign in via keytool (java) :
keytool -genkey -v -keystore my_keystore.keystore -alias TutorialsPoint -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
- More guidelines will be coming up.
A firend of mine (yes, its you bittu) needed a quick cheat sheet for phonegap as he is very busy with his work. So hence, this is it.
A full tutorial on making a chat app in phonegap will be uploaded in near future that will use Socket.IO, Phone Number Verification and end-to-end encryption using signal server.